Exploring how innovation, design & technology can reduce poverty at the Base of the Pyramid

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Join us on a Learning Journey to Silicon Valley

Explore how 5 cutting-edge institutions combine social innovation, design and technologies to create solutions that tackle poverty at the Base of the Pyramid (BoP).

Silicon Valley has become a hub for great thinkers and new ideas. The organizations we're visiting range from academic thought centers to design firms. Our focus is to explore the links between theory and practice and to map out the different approaches these organizations take in tackling development challenges.
  • What is your approach, how is it distinct and why does it work?
  • How do you measure success and results?
  • How do you scale-up and increase reach?


We want to draw out:
  • Any wholesaling approaches that have worked and why
  • How they innovate internally to generate social good externally
  • The role of networks and communities of practice that contribute to the success of the process and how they have been leveraged
  • How they share lessons to generate the greatest impact
  • Tools and systems for implementing projects
  • The key aspects of systems and designs that have worked
  • Potential allies or partners for our work
  • How the WBI can serve as an entry point to the wealth of knowledge at the WBG
  • Potential sources for 'outsourcing innovation' to groups such as students who stand ready to work on specific problems
  • New ways of thinking about the challenges we are addressing


Who's going:
Eric Chinje
Craig Hammer
Kaushall Jhalla
Marilyn Markman
Katherine Park
Alexis Sampson
Kirsten Spainhower
and YOU



6 comments:

Alexandra said...

That's great! Look forward to follow your journey and reading yourfirst blog. cannot read the text in thesquare describing the four organizations.Very blurry. Can you make it readable - please?

have fun!

Jee said...

cool have a fun and look forward to seeing some photos!!

Jee said...

only one follower...it is me. Ok I will ask others to follow ;-) I did tweeting...while I was on the LJ. It didn't work well either. We are just so busy!!! Hope everything is well!

Jee said...

BTW I am reading a book on Innovation. It is one of those Oxford published short introduction series.

Marilyn Markman said...

Hey there! I'll try to get that 4-square image more readable or downloadable - thanks for the feedback Alexandra.

Jee, what's the name of the book you're reading? Any interesting insights? I'm reading "The Art of Innovation" by Tom Kelley, IDEO's general manager. It's quite good, easy to read and lays out the processes that lead to innovative solutions.

Jee said...

The book I am grazing is this:
http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/EngineeringTechnology/?view=usa&ci=9780199568901

how's today?